Thursday 14 May 2009

I am not my brothers keeper

A key aspect of the new French legislation is that it makes no attempt to find who is guilty of copyright infringement. Action is taken against the owner of the subscription used. It means of course that people are going to be punished, without a trial, for things they haven't done. The intentiion is that I should police what people in my household are doing. - Including the lodger and and passing friends or family.

And even if it's me that is downloading and that gets cut off - it's still not OK as all those other users get cut off too...

At the same time, to stop just anyone surfing on my WiFi it will be illegal to have an unsecured hub - which the equivalent of making it a criminal offence to not lock your door at niight.

But there are lots of free public wi-fi points around people could use.... So these will be obliged to run a 'white-list'. Net censorshiip...

Bye bye liberty...


No comments: