Wednesday 2 September 2009

We know where you are....

As I sat on the bus this morning I noticed a little sign telling me the bus has video cameras recording "for my safety". I am being watched. we are.. Pretty much all the time. The phone company knows where my phone is... My credit card says where I spent money, and a thousand cameras are waiting for a bite of my day.

But what can we do? Serendipity provided at least part of the answer in the form of a really informative piece from the Electronic Frontier Foundation on Locational Privacy. which discussed among other things how we can have position related services without actually revealing our position. A neat trick.

We know where you are... But not who you are. ..A kind of cryptographc equiivalent to Heisenbergs uncertainty principle.

No comments: